The informative newspaper for girls «Between us …»
The results of the previous project «Summer Female camp - 1999» supported by "Mobil Oil" corporation have shown that the girls do not have enough information about existing possibilities of equal participation in public life.
The example of this is the following: wide spectrum of gender problems covers problems of social political participation of girls in public life of the country. The age group from 15 to 25 is the initial basic link which forms female interests and their adaptation in a society; therefore, this age category is to be given special attention. There is a great number of female newspapers and periodicals; however, they lack information about girls’ problems. Taking into consideration the peculiarities of our region that is traditional eastern education, we have decided to issue a newspaper which would establish communications with girls, help to solve their problems related to legal rights, build relationship with peers and parents, teach the girls how to participate actively in political life and solve their reproductive health problems.
The results of Summer Female Camp activities proved the existence of gender problems which do not have the solutions in the main stream of life. It is important to consider that the mentioned age category is physically, psychologically and socially not mature which means that the work should be more active.
The goal of the project: to inform the girls about their rights, to solve social and psychological problems through equal participation in public life and these goals are reflected in the informative newspaper for girls «Between us …».
The structure and the content of the newspaper:
• Girls and rights. The given section contains information about:
- the rights of girls;
- possibilities of using human rights and freedom;
- the mechanism of compensation and restoration of infringed rights;
- principles of equality and independent way of life;
Information sources: databases of the Republican law centre "The Legislation", informative legal system "The Lawyer", law school "Adilet" and etc.
• Girls and economics. The given section contains information about:
- legislative possibilities in terms of employment and self-employment;
- local work and commercial legislation;
- the ways of achieving self-support (the adapted foreign and domestic experience of self-employment, the ways of practical realization of legislative possibilities of self-employment, the ways of organizing their own business and domestic business).
Information sources: digests of other periodicals.
• Girls and politics. The given section contains information about:
- civil society;
- roles, functions and possibilities of the non-governmental organizations;
Information sources: own data, journalists, the articles, domestic literature and translations of foreign publications, editions and publications of other organizations.
- lobbying of interests (issues of social partnership with the state, the ways to achieve these goals, legal basis of participation in the process and decision-making structure, decision-making mechanisms, ways of presentation interests and their lobbying);
- successes of the girls, female organizations and their experience.
Information sources: materials of journalists and female organizations, readers’ letters.
2. Girls and social life. The given section contains information about:
- socialization and mutual help problems.
3. Girls and medicine: The given section contains information about:
- possibility of getting reliable information, to help critically, to estimate existing beliefs and facts in the sexual relationship sphere, to use the gained knowledge in real life situation; to give a chance to the girls to realize true values, to foresee possible consequences of the decisions which they might make; to develop responsibility for the sexual health and respect for feelings, values and the society way of life.
4. The digest of the world press. The given section contains information about:
- experience on solving similar problems taken from the Internet and the world press.
5. Correspondence, answers to girls’ questions.
6. Tests, opinion polls of girls-respondents.